Bunker Hill Village began as a settlement of German farmers who, attracted by the verdant forest of pines and hardwoods, established sawmills to cut timber. As late as 1936, Harris County highway maps show the existence of several sawmills.
After World War II, home owners grew concerned that their quiet, wooded environment might fall victim to overdevelopment and annexation as Houston’s hunger for real estate development moved west. They voted to incorporate as Bunker Hill Village in December 1954 to ensure that their neighborhood’s charm and country-estate atmosphere would be preserved for future generations.
Bunker Hill home owners adopted a mayor-council form of city government and established ordinances and zoning regulations to prohibit businesses. The only real estate permitted is single-family homes with a minimum lot size of either 10,000 or 20,000 square feet. Home owners are served by the Memorial Villages Police Department and Village Fire Department, and have their own water authority.
Children attend Spring Branch Independent School District schools. SBISD is one of Texas’ most highly-rated districts, and a number of SBISD schools have received National Exemplary School recognition.
Bunker Hill is bounded on the east by Blalock Road and Piney Point Village, on the north by Hedwig Village and Memorial Woods, on the west by Memorial Forest and Frostwood, and on the south by Memorial Drive, Lakeview and Sandalwood.
Bunker Hill is conveniently close to Memorial City Mall and Houston’s main east-west corridor, the Katy Freeway (Interstate 10). As Houston continues to grow, the quiet, suburban environment in Bunker Hill and the other Memorial Villages is even more in demand.